Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Don't tell anyone I bought Comic Books (and I liked them)

I got sucked in by the hype: DC Comics has redone all of it's 52 series and is releasing them this month. I fell out of comics when I was a kid (wasn't hard--I never really got pulled into them) and I figure now is as good a time as any to get back in.

What could be more fun than taking a deep dive into the great America fantasy involving otherworldly powers and the eternal struggle between right and wrong. God and evil. Farm boys and city slickers. Radioactive Men and the ever unpredictable nature of a planet earth that at any moment seems to be both fighting against the encroach of human hubris while also allowing its new masters to run amok. Plus the Green lantern!

 And I can experience all of this without leaving the same couch I used to watch cable TV on before we canceled it in favor of words. But you can throw a lot of pictures behind those words--plus hyperbolistic caricatures of the human form--and the reading is suddenly a lot of Fun!

I broke down and bought Action Comics, Batman (my personal favorite), Green Lantern, and one I'd never read before (recommended by the clerk): Captain Atom. And yes, I read all of them last night before bed. And I had a big glass of milk. I missed the bus this morning, though.  

It's nice to take a few minutes an slip into a world where anything is possible. Now I just need to speed up time a bit (the Flash and Superman are out tomorrow) and get to some more reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment