Monday, October 31, 2011

Ashford Living Mobile - or - My first winter this fall

Dylan says: Happy Halloween Everyone!



We're broadcasting this fine All Hallow's eve from Ashford Living's Southern Command post about 3 miles outside of beautiful downtown Madison, CT. It's shore living for us this week!

Why, you ask?



Winter Storm A-hole.



We only got 6 inches or so, but every single tree within 500 feet of my house fell onto a power line. I think I saw trees pull up roots and walk over the power lines to fall. Honest.



So when the power went out Saturday, we hunkered down, made dinner, started a fire and had a nice family evening. Christina and I read New Yorker articles to each other (we are the 99%). Robby and Wee-one slept by the fire as the temperature dropped, and dropped, and dropped...



Sunday morning started with bacon, eggs, and fresh coffee on the camp stove. Bigger fire. I shoveled the driveway. And Robby kept snuggled in front of the fire.



Trees down on both sides of my road. We had to shovel a path through a neighbors yard and move trees off of power lines. I say "we" liberally, as my neighbors did most of the work.

So when the path was clear, I took stock of the situation: No power, No heat, little food, One wife, one baby (one month old) and one Subaru. One phone call to Jim and Sue and we were out of there!



So we're settled down in Madison on the shore with heat and hot water. Balmy spring days down here.



Thank you Jim, Sue, Chris, and Nick for taking in the Ash-Fugees.



And thank you Nick for the smiles! Keeps up our wayward traveler spirits!

No comments:

Post a Comment